RJM,

Thank you for those detailed replies. The revolver in question came to me with a good bit of pitting on the outside and a dinged up front sight. Thankfully, the bore appears good. The backstory is the gun was carried in a shoulder holster by a Coast Guard crewman in Vietnam, thus the ugly outside. It seems tight enough, so it was likely carried a lot and shot a little. I have already bead blasted it in preparation for satin nickle or hard chrome. I was able to locate the front sight pin and get it moving well enough to know I can replace the front sight to any load I settle on.

Having said all that, maybe 270/1100 is a bit too much to ask of a no-dash S&W? Perhaps I should stick to 230 and below. There isn't much I might encounter here in Texas that would require more.

In my hunting rifles, the older I get, the more I gravitate toward heavy for caliber at reasonable velocity. Thus, the concept of heavy bullets in revolvers intrigues me, but perhaps I should scratch that itch with a tough Ruger Bisley?

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/29/17.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"