Originally Posted by 41rem
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Took my last elk with a 250 gr. LBT WFN using 9.2 grs. of Unique running about 1150 fps, broke both front shoulders with an exit at about 74 yds (I think) she never took a single step.Gun was my 5 1/2" Bisley.

Have some Montana Bullet Works 250 gr. LBT WFNGC arriving today. Working up a bear load for the 657 no dash 3". Going to start with 20.0 gr. of WW 296 in a nickel Starline case & Federal 155 cap. Ought to be quite the recoil/light-show

My son Cameron (26) likes to backpack in Montana's Cabinet mountains, the grizzly is definitely present. These loads will be for him. He hikes with another young man who packs the short 12 gauge loaded with slugs/00 buckshot but I'd still like Cam to have something on his hip.

Also have a Glock 40 MOS in 10mm with the Burris Fastfire ll, the 15 rounds of Sig-Sauer 180 gr. FMJ @ 1250 fps might be an option.

Thoughts?

I run that exact same bullet in front of 7.5 grains of Unique in my S&W 357PD - it shoots good and is manageable in the PD. Never had to use it for protection but feel pretty comfortable if I had too.

PrnnDog