My observation on this is that most hunters should shoot a scoped bolt gun for DG. It's simple everyone has used a scoped rifle on most game there whole life why change it up when you go on a hunt of a lifetime. It's your job to make that first shot count it's your PH job to stop a bad situation. Had many talks about this around the fire over there and every PH I have been around will agree. I have seen more guys buy a double practice with it and when it was time to get on the plane and go they took there bolt gun because they trust there self with it.

The exception is the guy who has spent the time in the bush been multiple Safaris can afford a proper double and has learned to use it under hunting pressure. This group is a very small amount of hunters. Especially when talking Cape buffalo hunts. Number of double used on elephant rise quite a bit because you want the power and the range is a lot closer.

As a PH goes on DG in my opinion should carry a double. If they need to use it it's a close situation that needs ended quickly. Now some of the great PHs have carried bolt guns but the double just makes more sense. if you ever read Geoff Broom Lifetime on Safari he mentions even thought he carried a bolt gun a lot in his career a PH should carry a double in his opinion.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com