Originally Posted by Zengela
Starman do you even own a double?...

Why own something less suitable?
Early 90s onward, I spent some yrs checking out the pre-owned market, even visited English and German
manufacturers...I gave the idea long and fair consideration.
I had keen interest in .30 Holland&Holland, perused some b/a sidelocks, but found them too weighty and
uweildly before a scope...some neat 9,3x74s were actually much better in that regard but not the chambering
for me. Regardless of affordability and how much I liked them, they just were not practical enough. I didnt
allow mystique and peoples obtuse waffle to overrule rational minded logic.

I found myself prefering magazine arrangements with more practical syn.stocks, not bling termite food,
(been there done that).....22" 30/06 bolt rifle gave me a lighter, more accurate, better swinging QD scoped rig,
similar OAL, SxS velocities or greater, without the headaches and limitations....I didnt read books on past
great african hunters at all back then,when I began to, I found the logic-pragmatic reasoning for avoiding
SxS in favor of B-Rs, was very similar to mine. I happen to come to my own such conclusions without any undue
influence from them, nor was I on any gun forums. Im much inclined to think my tradetime in maintaining-trouble
shooting industrial equipment that was required to run 365 days/yr, influenced my pragmatic approach to hunting
rifles....I believe Harry Selby was a motor mechanic before a PH.....no suprise the most defensive and dismissive
SxS owner Ive come across was an ivory tower paper shuffling attorney who would need his secretary to sort out
his jammed office stapler.

Other hand, I found owners of co. like Hartmann & Weiss rather humble, they didnt carry on about the SxS rifle like
some largely obnoxious irrelevant internet mouthpiece folk do. Some would be surprised how little they may have
to say. I gather its a valuable understated business manner approach one attains from time at J.Purdey & Sons.
They prefered to educate,discuss and demonstrate in house design improvements they had developed- employed
in manufacture. I took that to mean that getting a SxS should be entirely my decision, but also to make me aware
of what differences they offered and I may like to consider, should I end up deciding on SxS.

H&W are both traditional and innovative, I will highlight in color;

Otto & Gerhard are great admirers of the British designs and regarding actions,
the SxS Boss design is their mainstay SxS action for shotguns ,and the Beesley for SxS rifles.
H&W are flexible in that they will build you a Beesley action gun with Boss single triggers and
Holland-southgate ejectors, in order to offer the best in style with the best mechanical designs.

H&W also have engineered innovative improvements to the British designs,
examples of this are:

1 - springs built into the cocking rods and safety sears to eliminating parts & screws in its self-openers
2- Modification of the Boss single trigger turret for easier disassembly
3- Roller tips on mainsprings to eliminate the breakage prone tumbler link
4- where U/O ejectors cam on the action, hardened steel inserts are installed to prevent wear.

Took op. to also check .30cal H&W mag.mauser...was a (not light) long barrelled unit ,
not something I would want to lug around from dawn till dusk.

Do you own a Rigby bolt gun? .

Several very good custom mauser options out there, why does it have to be a Rigby? my 1909 was built
better than a catalogue item 'name dropping' Rigby....what floats your boat doesnt mean it floats mine.
Rigby at that time was recently Californian, I didnt like their products and the old orig. Rigby examples
I came across didnt seem that spectacular but still carried the price.
Even the 1909 was given a new home in favor of stainless-synthetic tools...no regrets, looking back
should have done it earlier. Sometimes you dont see the blue/walnut hype one gets caught in until you
step back some,(same with SxS). Everything is a trade-off for one thing or another. I am a pragmatist,
and with choosing bolt-rifles I dont find I lost anything of practical significance to me,actually more the
contrary.

If so pictures of you and the rifle in Africa please.

One specifically needs a SxS or specifically a Rigby and Africa to qualify?...wow thats rather narrow minded.
do you have anymore of your own strict personal criteria 'loaded' questions?

btw: have you decided yet what calibre to use to 'save your P-Hs life'...?....LOL.
recreational vacation hunters planning heroic stunts..Ask Tim Herald how his save the PH stunt worked out,
hilarious to say the least...any other idiosyncrasies you care to share?...

you remind me of this kind of show pony gas-bagging talk....

"Were going to track him, were going to hunt him down, were going to find him, then we're going to kill him!"
- Mark Sullivan

LOL, well when its a video called 'Greatest Hippo Charges' and youre whispering at a hippo wallow, uber cal.SxS
on your shoulder, thats the prevailing thing already in viewers minds isnt it? ....a savy 8 yr old watching would
already know that, but MS finds need to tell his mature age adult bigbore SxS fans what 'the game plan is' ...
why the halfwit simple simon stuff?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.