Originally Posted by IndyCA35

I disagree with those who say you can get a third or fourth shot off as fast with a double as a bolt. Under carefully set up conditions, some can no doubt do it. But who is going to hunt all day with two extra cartridges stuck between the fingers of their left hand, or whatever? To say nothing of dropping them in the mud under the pressure of a fast reload. In the real world a bolt action is faster. I even think it's almost as fast for the second shot if you know how to work the bolt while the rifle is recoiling (most people don't).

I am a Sporting Clays shooter and realize that, with my shotgun, I can fire the second shot a lot faster. But 12 gauge target loads do not recoil as much as a .470 Nitro Express, and I'm not trying to hit the CNS.

I can only go on my own experience, which has been in the field, on live targets. It surprised me a little too, to be frank with you, and surprised the bloke with me who was using a bolt action. FWIW we were both using 9.3s.

I'd also add that I don't hold rounds stuck between my fingers either. I agree with you that it would not work. I have additional rounds on a cuff on the butt, and I reload with my right hand from there.

In the real world a bolt is pretty fast - more than a few times I've shot 3, 4 or even 5 pigs with one before they've got to cover (sometimes I've stuffed in a couple more rounds and got the odd straggler too). No argument there. It isn't as fast for the second shot as a double though, based on my own experience with both.With something like a .470 vs a bolt of a similar level of recoil things might be different, but I don't have the experience to comment on that.

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
As for looking at rifle sights, target acquisition is a lot faster with a scope than with iron sights, no matter how good your vision is.

Yeah, I agree with you there too. I have rifles with peep sights, open sights and scopes, and I first learned to shoot using open sights, but if the rifle fits, and the scope is mounted properly, I find the scope fastest and the open sights slowest.The scope's best in poor light too, and for getting a good aim when your target is obscured. .

My double, like several other rifles I own, has a scope with hand-detachable mounts, so I could use the open sights if I wanted to, but with that particular rifle the only time I've actually used the open sights is at the range, to check their alignment. The only real use I have for open sights on rifles nowadays, other than shooting the odd competition where they are mandated, is as a backup for rain or in case the rifle/scope should take a knock.

Cheers!