Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I've owned a couple double rifles, all in 9.3x74r. Some have been pretty good shooters, two were definitely not. My current is a Chauis, with a single trigger. I prefer single trigger versions, because I've shot a single trigger double shotgun for more than 50 years, and cannot retrain myself to go to the other trigger. I've shot a lot of targets and a few whitetail with my doubles.

Interesting. I happened to see a well-used but decent-shape Chapuis double in 9.3X74R on Gunbroker today... looks like a good deal, I'm tempted! As for double vs single triggers, some of my double shotguns have single selective triggers (including my first and most-used double, an Ithaca-SKB 200E) but I've acquired several double trigger shotguns and I far prefer the double trigger setup. Unlike you, I found the transition from single to double trigger isn't difficult.

A gun needs to fit. My first and second doubles did not fit me and beat the tar out of my face and shoulder. I've owned a couple of 375's and 416's so I'm familiar with recoil. My current rifle needs another 1/4 to 3/8 inch off the butt to fit just right in shirt sleeves. It isn't bad in the recoil department. It is also pretty accurate, meaning I can put six rounds inside a bit over 2 inch circle at 100 yards off sticks. That is on par with what I could do with my other rifles off sticks.
It's handy and shoots well. I'm going to get that little bit of wood off the but, and maybe a little more so it will fit with a jacket. I would take it to Africa if I were going, again. I carry it in black bear season here.

Interesting to read that. Clearly I'm not the only one to take some serious damage from an ill-fitting gun!

I'm past the mystique, but I do like nice well made guns.
Bfly

I think that's where I am on this issue, BF. I'm not saying I won't buy or hunt with a double again, but the mystique of the double rifle has passed for me.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars