Originally Posted by MZ5

From moderate-speed 26-cals in particular (like we're talking about here), or just in general? A couple of friends and I have found it difficult to recover 140-grain 26-cal bullets from big game, but our experience base is doubtless lower than some here.

You're correct in pointing out that moderate speeds can help. But.......most elk I've killed have been at shortish range--and many of those at less than 50 yds. So, what's the impact velocity of a 140gr C&C bullet from a 260 at 50 yds?

When I referred to the unrecovered elk I couldn't find an exit. On a couple elk--that were fresh enough--I have done a "bullet necropsy", the bullet stopped in the first lung, allowing it to run far enough in dry conditions the hunter obviously didn't find it. Or he thought he missed......

Moderate expansion, deep penetration, that's the secret. Caliber, BC, velocity, and to some extent even weight don't mean much. If we polled most of the elk loonies, who handload, and have spent a large part of their life in the Rocky Mountains and hunt elk, the bullets that penetrate seem to be the most popular.

There's a number of good bullets out there, I choose the NPt because it seems to be the most consistent bullet that penetrates well across the widest range of velocities.

On Tuesday I shot a 250lb bear almost straight on at 32 paces. Hit on the point of the shoulder (and the exploding bone just destroyed that shoulder). The NPt exited right in front of the off side hind quarter.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.