Originally Posted by BushCaddy

If I may be so bold, I believe the discussion, so to speak ,was referring to the 6.5 Creedmoor, not a modern 6.5x55 SE.

When the CM can deliver a 160 gr bullet to any animal, that becomes another matter. That's the bullet that sets the 6.5 SE far apart from the CM. Even a 140 at 2800 MV out of a modern Swede makes it a viable Elk round, but there are other cartridges that deliver 140 and 160 gr bullets more effectively than even the 6.5x55 .. IMHO

No need for 160 grain bullets in 6.5mm for killing elk at all, when a 120 grain monometal such as the TTSX will penetrate every bit as deeply (if not more!) and give a flatter trajectory out to all reasonable hunting distances.

I've taken six elk with a 6.5mm 120 grain Barnes bullet out to ranges of 325 yards. Have never caught a single one. A Creedmoor can handle a 120 at pretty close to 3K and is a perfect vehicle for delivering that bullet.

I am actually excited to try the 127 Barnes LRX out of my 6.5 Creedmoor this fall on my elk hunts in Colorado and Montana. I am hoping it will be the best all-around bullet for that cartridge, and accuracy is looking good so far.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?