Originally Posted by szihn
Of the bullets you recommend, which ones have you killed or seen elk killed with, and what were the results?

To answer this question;
I have never killed an elk with a 6.5MM (wanted to last year, but my truck broke down and I was not able to go)

I have seen elk killed with the following ones:

Norma Alaskan 156 grain. Used by a friend in Lyman Wyoming. Killed a nice 5X6 bull with his 6.5X55. Bullet stayed inside the body but recovered weight was great. I remember it was 140+ grain plus. Shot was into the front of the chest. we took it out of the flank on the other side.

Nosler AccuBond Bullets 140 Grain Bonded. A friend in Thermopolis killed 2 cows with these from a 6.5X55, and a hunter from Iowa killed a 3X3 Rag-Horn with one fired from a 260 Remington. The 2 elk that my friend in Thermop shot were both 1 shot kills with one exit and the other bullet against the hide. I didn't get to weight it but it didn't shed much.
The Iowa hunter kept his bullet too. 2 shots, one exit one against the skin after going through about 3 feet of elk.

Hornady 160 Grain RN. Another friend from Thermopolis killed a very nice bull with one from his 6.5X55 that I made for him. Exit wound so I don't know the retained weight. Also I know 2 men in Montana that used them for elk and deer both and between them have probably killed 20. I was with them when they killed 2 bulls with these and one big deer. Both shooting 260s made on Mauser actions, one by me and one by a gunsmith in Montana. All bullets exited.

Nosler Partition 140 Grain I have seen 3 elk killed with these. One by a lady in Green River Wyoming. Exit wound quartering through the chest. One by a client that my Nephew was guiding and another by his wife on the same hunt. Fired from a 6.5-06. One bullet recovered but I didn't get to weigh it. My Nephew did and told me what it was but I don't remember exactly. I do remember it was about what I expect from Nosler partitions so it was probably about 70%

The 3 below I recommend just because I know them by reputation and recommendations of other hunters I trust, and in the case of the Norma Orex, I have fired some into a test trough when I was testing other bullets. It opened up well and the penetration was outstanding.

Norma Oryx 156 Grain Bonded Protected Point Tested in my ballistic trough. Most weigh about 80% of their original weight when I dug them out. Some that missed all the bones weigh about 88 to 90% VERY good bullets in my openion

Woodleigh 160 Grain Weldcore. Used by a friend in Australia who has killed many animals with them and sent me some pictures. Says they are the best over-all that he's used. Shoots a 6.5X55 and a 6.5X57.

Swift A-Frame 140 Grain Bonded Semi-Spitzer. Used by a man I know in Montana, from a 264 Win Mag and a 26 Nosler. Nothing but good was reported and all bullets exited the game so far. Deer, elk and one bear. I trust his judgement and he swears by them.

Good report.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.