When I was employed as a show horse groom, had a huge 17.2 hands gelding come up behind me and bite me in the back. When I pulled loose he ripped my tee shirt open. So I spun around and hit him in the muzzle as hard as I could. That must have stunned him if my bruised knuckles were any indication, then I noticed his mouth was bleeding, followed by him spitting out a tooth cap on the tailboard. He had a gap in his smile until the tooth grew out, but never bit me again.

Another time a hackney pony stallion decided I was intruding on his space when it was necessary to repair his water trough valve. He grabbed me by the right wrist I used to block him, and clamped down. It took me squeezing and twisting his upper lip and muzzle with my left hand like a twitch to make him let go. For years I had a the crescent impression of his dental arch embossed into my wrist, as a reminder that it's a good thing horses have relatively flat incisors, and that the vet pulls their wolf teeth. Thereafter, I locked him in the stall before working in the paddock.

When driving to work there was a house I had to pass by on a narrow country lane. Every day a really vicious large black dog would run out and chase my car, until one day I was riding my motorcycle it ran out and grabbed my pant cuff and nearly pulled me off the bike. Next day, it came at my car again, so I reached down and grabbed the fire extinguisher, and emptied the entire load of dry powder on the dog, which disappeared in a cloud of white sodium bicarbonate. This of course, cooled the dog's ardor immediately, and he reversed course yelping back to the porch. Thereafter, that dog was no longer seen on the porch, but could be heard barking behind a solid fence.