Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Billy,

Sort of off-track, but Cerakote can be anything from really good to really bad. It depends on the percentage of silica, the ceramic component in the finish. I have rifles that were Cerakoted over a decade ago, and have been hunted a lot with hardly any wear on the coating. The one I've hunted with the most does have some very light wear on the corners of the muzzle, about like you'd see from blueing after a few hunting seasons, but that's it.

John,
I've had really poor luck with Cerakote. I've had three rifles with the finish, two of which were done by smiths with good reputations for Cerakoting - not sure on the other one, as it was purchased coated. All three scratched within the first day or two of use. Walt Birdsong's finish has held up better for me, performing more like your Cerakoted rifles.

Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by deputy30
The Fieldcraft is one of the rifles that is getting serious consideration: all though it is in third place due to the lack of a hinged floorplate.

I can't fathom going to the super-light Fieldcraft (or Montana) as an all-around rifle. They aren't. The LA Fieldcraft might qualify, but not the SA version with its little no.1 contour.

Get something made/bought that finishes all-up (scope, sling, rounds) in the 7.25-7.5lb range with a barrel that finishes no less than .600" at the muzzle and you'll really have a lifetime, general purpose rifle.

Brad,
A long action Fieldcraft with a scope that holds up (like an SWFA 3-9 or Nightforce SHV 3-10) is going to be in that weight range, all-up with a full magazine and sling. I don't like the #1 contour on the short action Fieldcrafts either, though the 18" threaded version is really nice once a lightweight suppressor is added.