Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by mathman
How is a 140 Interlock moving that slow going to perform on game?

While I haven't used that particular bullet, IME standard big game bullets perform really poorly at subsonic speeds. Plus they are going to ricochet like crazy.

Something like a Lehigh Defense Controlled Fracturing bullet is a better choice, but I don't think they make a 6.5.

Good reason to stay with 30 caliber for subsonic use - 30 caliber has options designed for subsonic speeds.

Another choice is a wide meplat cast bullet, or handgun bullet designed to expand at subsonic speed. Which is one reason to go with 35 caliber for subsonic rifle use - lots of readily available handgun bullets or molds to make them.

Thanks for the information, will certainly take it all into consideration.

The rifle and cartridge is set already. If I have to play with more bullets, I will certainly do that. For the immediate intended purpose, ricochet will not be an issue. The shooting angle will be steep downward, with the ground as a backstop.

Lehigh defense 122gr 0.264 caliber bullets are too long to stabilize at subsonic velocities per Berger twist rate calculator.

The 122 grain isn't the Subsonic version, so you're not missing much by not being able to stabilize that particular bullet. They also make a lighter bullet, but there again, the minimum expansion velocity is well over the speed of sound.

You might look at something like a 95 grain Vmax in order to get subsonic expansion, otherwise you might have to go with a slightly unstable bullet and rely on it tumbling within the animal, which is a poor way to go about things.

The subsonic world is a whole different ballgame.