My BIL asked me several years ago what rifle he should get for deer hunting as a Christmas present for his grown son. He had been to the Cabelas in his area (we all live in Missouri) and they had recommended a 30-06.The dad was not a hunter, and his son had never fired a centerfire rifle of any type.

I told him 7-08 all the way. His dad found a Remington SPS in 7-08 for about $500, and my nephew subsequently brought his new rifle over to our place to get it sighted in and learn how to shoot it. I had loaded up some 120 gr NBTs for him, then mounted a Burris FFII I had sitting around on his rifle and after 3 shots to get his scope sighted in - he shot a 3 shot group all touching in the black center diamond of the target at 100 yds. He did all the shooting under my direction with a good rest. He thought it was pretty cool, and so did I.

it isn't like there aren't high BC bullet options for the 7-08. Heck a 140 gr NAB or NBT in a 7mm will hang with a 143 ELDX in a 6.5 out to 500. And you can go 150 ELDX as Pharm has the 7-08 hangs for further than that.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."