MM, nice shooting. My first experience was in the late 80s, a 700 MR, bad crown that Rem butchered out the door, had to fix that, then lap the lugs, and glass bed the recoil lug and tang. After all that, it shot nickel sized groups for 3 with 150 Bt's, did not like 130s, something later 270s proved to be true as well. A joy to carry, not bad balance and weight with a then 6x. But, it went down the road, later M7s never shot to my standards. As Brad points out, they are nice to carry, but IME, I like more weight for steadying. Out west in open country, over a backpack, on sticks or bipod, etc. you can get steady. For how I have hunted, it's not always possible to get a good rest, so more weight helped.

Jeff, I p/u 2 CLRs unfired a few years back, in 7RM. Trigger untouched was atrocious, but the action seemed well made. Heard mixed reviews on the barrel quality, but most owners have done well with them. The balance and stock fit was surprisingly well with it's IIRC 24" barrel. Not a fan on a 7RM, especially in a real light rifle, so both sold. Had they been in 260 or 7/08, I would have kept them. Too bad Colt did not make SA models. They are not a bad platform and I'd trust their action quality more than a 700. Perhaps their bolt design/attachment was better. Yes, had a 700 fail on me.....

On weight, the rifle that 700 bolt failed, started out as a first production SS MR in 270, mid 90 production, or early 90. Built a 338-06 that weighed 8.0 even sans scope. Ordered a .700 muzzle, but it came out .73 by Hart. Then the stocks were a solid Hard rubber IIRC, I floated it, and it shot 1/2 MOA at 200 yds all day. Yet in the mountains, it was just too heavy up and down terrain with it's 1.5-6x B&L - granted not a light scope.

To me, a Tikka sporter with reasonable scope gets real close to a good weight smile

Now the best light barrel I shot OEM, was a #1 A Ruger, in 243. 3/8" for 3 out the box, with a 2.5-8x, but it was slated for a 6BR project with varmint bbl to 26", and it shot sub 1/2" - at 330 yds thanks to Pac-Nor, full glass bedding, and Kepplinger, and a 4-16x40 ao elite. That OEM 243 barrel was a good barrel, and thin at the muzzle as I recall. Thin muzzles go best with small bores...stiffer, IMHO.