Originally Posted by Brad
have settled on the spec's I gave - 7.25 - 7.50 lb''s "all-up" with a barrel of no less than .6" - as the best compromise between shoot-ability and portability. Of course it goes without saying the balance and feel of that rifle must be "right" too. Not saying that's the gospel, but certainly my own hard-won preference.

Generally, I think that's a good place to be but lighter barrels can & do work, although as you point out, the balance is usually not quite as good as with a slightly heavier barrel.

The gun in my stable that absolutely embodies that is a Rem 700 KS rifle..........I've left the barrel at the factory 24" but it would be absolutely perfect if I cut it to 22". I think that barrel is around .580-.600" or thereabouts.

Lighter barrels are just a little harder to shoot off-hand but at any kind of range beyond 100 yards or so, I want some kind of rest anyway, so to some degree, it's a little bit of a moot point.

As with much of the things discussed here in what has turned out to be a good thread, it just really all boils down to personal preference & doing it enough different ways to sort out what really works best for you.

MM