Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by russm86
Both great rifles but completely different designs. As mentioned, one down side to the Tikka (if getting something chambered in a shorter cartridge) is all the actions are the same long action. Another down side is the plastic mag, they can sometimes tend to pop rounds out. I have 2 for mine and can't leave the mags loaded for any length of time or they expand the lips and start popping rounds out. If you ever drop the Tikka mag, it will likely spill all its contents.

Something is up with your mags. Have dozens of them and they get dropped all the time on concrete. The only busted one got run over on pavement.

Thought this was a fairly well known issue with the Tikka T3s and Sako A7s. The plastic isn't strong enough and so the top of the mag expands from the spring pressure with cartridges loaded in it. Some cartridges are worse than others. Short action rounds all seem to be fine as the extra block of plastic at the rear adds a lot of strength and holds it all together. Standard and magnum long action rounds seem to be the worst. You can physically see the feed lip area expand when you load shells into it and can squeeze it back down with your fingers. Every single T3 mag I've ever seen or owned does this and they seem to get worse with age my buddies with them have the same issues. The Sako A7 mags are even worse than the Tikkas they were so bad I sold my A7 just because of the crappy mags, my buddy with an A7 still continues to struggle with his after Sako has warrantied his mags 3 times.

Last edited by russm86; 07/24/18.