Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by skeen

The SHV is an okay scope. It's a good value for <$800 bucks. It is not in the same league as the Nightforce NXS series.

For a set and forget scope, in my opinion, the Swarovski Z3 has better glass and weighs less. Never had an issue with any of my Z3s.

I would take my Nighthunter Xtreme 7 days a week and twice on Sunday over the SHV. Again, the SHV is a good value, but seems to me to be hyped up by forum members.

If you are going to dial, the Athlon Ares BTR, at about the same price point, is a better choice. Glass is equal to the SHV, FFP, zero stop and higher magnification.

To go a step further, again, just my opinion, the best buy and value in a scope right now under $800 is the Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18X44 being sold by GAP.

I'd be curious to hear Mule Deer's opinion. He rated the Nighthunter an 8 on his line chart and likes the SHV too.

Optics preference is certainly subjective and it does seem everybody's eyes are different.

None of those scope you mentioned is even remotely close in reliability, durability, and correct function to the SHV. “Glass” is the most over hyped, over talked, over spent, least needed, least important, least used, piece of the scope puzzle.

One can not like them, however as aiming devices SHV’s are only bested by NXS/ATACR’s.

Great point.

A scope if primarily an aiming device. That's it's first and most important role.

Glass is nice, but IMO, secondary to #1.

Other than being a tad heavy, I find no fault with the SHV or the Forceplex reticle.

DF