Originally Posted by skeen

I wasn't speaking strictly in terms of "glass." I already mentioned some of the other features. Durability is over hyped too. The pendulum has swung far the other way where posters speak strictly in terms of durability. .

Other than the scopes I wrote above, as well as S&B’s, Hensoldt, Kaps, etc., scopes are almost always the single point of failure in rifles.

In the last two hunting seasons of regular week long backpack hunts, two people have brought scopes that were not a SWFA, NF, or Bushnell Elite Tactical. The only problems we had was with those two scopes- one lost zero and had a first round miss at 160’ish yards, but was able to get a second round hit. The other was a rodeo with a complete erector system failure sometime between working fine at the range and four or five days later on a mule deer. It’s first shot was just over the back at 280’ish yards, second was off nearly two feet with a hit in the hip, third was a foot low but good left and right. Deer ran into a tight draw. A bit later the deer jumped out on the other side. Another miss high at a hundred and something yards, the next perfect, the next a miss- finally the deer went down. At the range the scope had point of impact shifts of 8-10 MOA or more between shots.

You think that guy believes that “durability is over hyped”?

The only rifle system failures I’ve seen on hunts in the last decade have been triggers failing (Remington 700’s) and scope failures with about 50-75% of the regular scopes having issues.

Maybe I’m weird but I try to learn from my, and others failures. Why would someone have to have thier Swarovski fail on a hunt to get a lesson when they can talk to 10 guys that actually hunt and shoot, and 3-4 of them have had problems?