Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[quote=prm]Maybe I need to try illumination. The idea of an illuminated reticle, batteries, having to turn on, extra weight, etc. has been a turn off to me. Seems like an overly complex solution to the problem of low light shooting. Willing to try though. Maybe...

If they trade the parallax mechanism for illumination, may not be heavier.

I'd check on electronic parts warranty..

Leupold's lifetime warranty, IIRC, is 2 years on electronics. Not sure about NF.

DF

Originally Posted by skeen

You guys really are pole vaulting over mouse turds.

Nah, just picking fly [bleep] out of pepper.

Illuminated reticles are one solution to low light aiming, and as I said, it's one I'm willing to try and warm up to. Good glass, which the SHV has, and a good reticle are another solution. As for being picky about the SHV, for me it's only because it is so close to being perfect FOR ME. I'm not mentioning tweaks to other brands I've tried lately because they are too significant to bother. I've thought a lot about where I hunt, the conditions, the ranges, the types of shots I may take, etc. I know exactly what I want, and why. The 3-10 SHV is oh so close. Two things I feel would make the SHV a better pointing device: One: FOR ME, the outer bars of the Forceplex need to be a bit thicker for my 51yo eyes. It helps them stand out when pointing in dark timber with lots of branches at first/last light, overcast, and a canopy. A very specific circumstance, yes, but one I have actually experienced the SHV limited as a pointing device. Illumination would also address that. Two: a little more refined windage reference. The Forceplex has the 2.5MOA, I'd like something close to a 2, 4 and 6 MOA indicator. A small reticle change to the Forceplex and all my wants are addressed, in a simple, relatively low cost manner. They could even ditch the parallax on the 3-10 if it would save weight and cost. More better. Looking at the updated options, maybe the illuminated MOAR is the ticket, though I know I'll never need 20 MOA of windage for a hunting shot. For laughs I played in JBM to see what conditions warranted 20 MOA of windage. For my rifle, it's a 950yd shot at sea level with a 30MPH crosswind component. At 10k' hunting elk and mulies we're talking indirect fire I'd be shooting so far. I think my short range threading a shot through dark timber use case is more realistic.