Originally Posted by pak
Originally Posted by 458Win
Yukon

Thank you, I have only watched this show for a couple of episodes the other night. Taking things at face value I am trying to figure out the logistics on a few things. Re: the guy with the sled dogs. He is in Anwr and quite aways from the Yukon. Assuming the salmon are late run Yukon chum means they were in the middle river sometime mid/late Sept. The fish in his box were frozen whole which indicates to me they were frozen somewhere close to the catch site and in Sept. I'm thinking they were frozen in a freezer. 500 fish at say 8 lbs is 4000 lbs. He must have had them flown in there. After freeze up. Couple or three loads in that helio that flew them out. I did not catch where "town" was but I'm guessing Fbxs or Ft Yukon. He looks like a hell of a trapper based on the fur hanging on his cabin. I realize these folks are in regular contact with town and are regularly supplied by air during the winter. That said I enjoy the scenery as I really love the high Arctic and sub Arctic.

The Guy and Gal, and the Baby Girl, with the Dogs, those are the "Seldens", they have a House in Fairbanks,,,,, and it's her -[Ashley's]- Fathers original Cabin/Trap Line Area, on the Sheenjek River, Heimo and Edna Korth are on the Upper Coleen River, old Bob Harte that passed away, was also on the Coleen River about 50 miles down river from the Korths.
And it was not un-common, back in those early days, for the Trapper to come into town with his "Furs" his catch for the year, sell those Furs, and maybe stay with some friends for awhile, re-stock-up with supplies and ammo, maybe some new traps and or snares,,,, maybe a New Dog or two for the team,,,,and visit some "Ladies" of the Evening,,,, etc... etc....
He may take several weeks or a month or two, doing all this and then head back out again,,,, but as time marched forward, and he acquired a Ham-Radio, and the use of Bush Planes came into prominence, he could order up his supplies, and have them brought out by Plane,,,,,, or call the Plane to come and get him and his "Catch" for the year,,,,,,, so what I'm trying to convey here,,,,,,, is that VERY FEW, lived out in the Bush, 24/7 365, with out any Human contact that total time.
LJ cool

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-