Originally Posted by 1bigdude
I do not live in Alaska anymore though I did for several years and guided brown bear hunters for several of theose years. For the most part everyone knew and abided by the game laws. They did so while bitching about 1st Nation doing as they damn well pleased...i.e. spring egg collecting, shooting from a powered boat, etc. Now "if" you could find a truly self suffiecent old school whom does not live part time in town, uses a dog sled , NO modern equipment then fine live off the land BUT if you have a 60hp motor on your boat and you run out of town so you can shoot swimming caribou then run back to your house in town living off Gov't heat/fuel subs you should be forced to obey game laws. While most have a duck season the gov't gives 1st Nations case of steel shot to hunt waterfowl 365 days a year...THAT IS USING THE SYSTEM. What about the 1st Nations druggies who use ARs to shoot walrus off ice floes then sell the ivory/ Just try to get an walrus permit. I could go on but you get the point. It can not be denied it happens in every village/town in the state.

Its sounds like your confusing Canada with Alaska, 1bigdude

Subsistence hunting/egg gathering/fishing/trapping is for every Alaskan resident, and locals on Fed lands. The only exception is resident Native Alaskans that reside on the coast can hunt Sea Mammals, and that makes more than 90% of them in our state that cannot.

If you need the meat for eating, to be legal after the kill, as soon as you can, you contact the FnG Trooper and explain yourself, turn over the remains/hide/head and you will not face legal charges. The hide/head will be auctioned by the state and the meat will be given to those who will eat it.
Hide it and get found out, and you will face the consequences no matter the story you got.

Same go's for wrong sex/small antlers, etc.............people make mistakes

Were all 9 meals from chaos, right?
Staying within the law, how you decide to make your meat is your business, with a paddle or a jet boat, you cannot buy wild game in any stores no matter how much $$ your throwing down. What better reason to own an outboard 60hrs that to use it for hunting and fishing??

Moving here and there in season has always been practical.....where to freeze up? where to Break Up? Where to fish? where to hunt? where to hunker down and think about old age? Most of these are not found in one place...........

Perhaps some want to see a return to primitive rather than the true modern hunt? Hunters have always taken to tools and transportation to make life easier, its the human condition, is it not?
Nature has its own laws, and seasons.

Living in a village is living in the bush, and as convenience as you can make it, or can afford to make it........same as in a camp or tent.......... Where you go is where you are.

Last edited by Caribou; 02/24/19.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick