Originally Posted by 1bigdude
I guess my big bitch are with those whom cry they have a right to " traditional ways" when it comes to hunting and fishing. But when the Gov't gives them the OK to do so turn right around and hunt seals, swimming 'bou, etc out of boats powered with gas motors rather than paddle. If you are using outboard and snowmobiles you are not doing it "traditional ways" and should be forced to follow the modern game regs.

Then quit crying about 'Traditional ways" that others may observe, unless they are breaking a law.

All residents of Alaska have to follow the same FnG laws, no matter their skin color or heritage.
The only exceptions at all are that Native Alaskans that reside on the coast can still hunt Marine Mammals for food, skins and such.
When commercial hunting of Marine Mammals was stopped, those who had a tradition of eating and utilizing those animals and products were allowed to carry on as before and those who only had commercial venues were stopped. That was like 1971 or so.

It seems to me that you dont know what 'traditions' other people have, how they came about, as well you seem , to me, to confuse "Tradition" with "Primitive".

People can start and stop "traditions", like Christmas, for example. We know when and where that started and why and how its evolved. Would it be wrong to sing a Xmas carol or , just because Moses's book came out before Christs, that the new Testament is null and void, and not "traditional"?

The Inupiaq I live amongst are progressive people who adopt what makes life easier. Adapt and progress, survive and determine their own way.

Change and adaptation can be found in transportation, and weapons, clothing and even religion. They let go of the old and move onto the new and retain their identity, and evolve and survive as human beings do.

Firearms here in the Arctic are 200 years in regular use, outboard motors 100 years in use, all bought and payed for by those who could afford them, sold by those who made them and brought them here for sale.
Started 200 years ago and keeps happening, but insted of ships , they fly in a jet to a store rather than a trading post, ect.
Just because someone of one skin color invented something gives them no right or say in who decides to adapt/buy/use what they have, despite their nationality or race.

[Linked Image]

$$ money or skins, people buy what they can use, all the world round..

The animals havent changed, the lands havent changed, the need to eat hasnt changed nor the mindset of those who are actually doing the work.

The place I sit and await Caribou to cross the river still has a 5 Caribou a day limit, as well, only so many Caribou can fit in a boat, so it limits itself.
My wifes family has been hunting that area for at least 150 years that they know of , and probably more.
They used to use a kayak and lance to catch swimmers and snares in depth to catch those who crossed. Kills of 20+ a day for as many days as Caribou were passing through, were common, but when that all your clothing, you food through the freeze up and feed for your dogs, trade in skins or bedding and boots, it may have not been enough some years.

Dog teams and such are much reduced as is the need for clothing/bedding skins and the amount of hunting being done is much reduced from just 50 years back. Time and 'traditions' change, but the need to eat is there.

People who stay within the law should be able to do their hunting any way they want.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick