Originally Posted by 1lessdog

I think you guys should go to some matches and see whats winning them. Better yet build a 6.5 prc and go shoot with them.

I’ve seen plenty of competitions and can’t remember the last time I seen a 6.5x284 in one.... of course we are talking two completely different types of matches here... sitting static at a bench and shooting paper does not interest me in the least...

All the 6.5s mentioned here are/can be extremely accurate and are more so separated by the shooter than the equipment... The 284 has been around for ages so it will have a cult following but that does not make it anymore accurate than a PRC or a 4S... The PRC being backed and promoted by Hornady will make it a mainstream caliber and plenty will drink the koolaid... I’ve noticed no difference in its accuracy over the 4s...

Not too long ago while in Logan NM we went out to a course and ran the course with 5 different 6.5s... 5 shooters each running the course once with each rifle... 80 targets to engage... The results for each caliber mimicked the shooters and not the calibers...

Using those particular results I doubt I’d run out and build a herd of 284’s...

Most comps seem to be using 6mm or at least that is what I’ve seen...

To the OP I’d lean towards the PRC at this point... Available brass and ammo at large retail stores will be a plus once it catches on...