Originally Posted by Mule Deer
skottishkat,

Thanks very much for the details.

Will also comment that my wife and I use a LOT of Barnes bullets--though not because we believe they kill quicker. Instead we like them (and other monolithics) because they ruin less meat--which is more important to us in most of our personal big game hunting than other factors.

I am not running down the performance of monos. But according to my extensive records, they do NOT kill quicker than bullets which lose more weight, and there are indeed physical reasons for that.

I was also pointing out that most hunters also do NOT really analyze why a bullet drops an animal "right there."

MD I am a straight up meat hunter myself and one of the things I like about the TSX is less damage. Most of what I know has been from my dad and some Norwegian Red Neck from Montana HAHA. I've read to many of his books and articles to count and have been sending them to dad for years. Most of the deer I harvest here have been between 70 and a 100 pounds and admit to being a Barnes fan because of the damage issue and in general the ease of finding good hunting loads. I have also followed the Barnes family business for years was sorry to see them sell to Remington despite being a fan of Big Green as well. There seems to be a trend toward what I call boutique or specialized factory ammo today and to much marketing big green and federal seem to be deeply into it and I think the Barnes acquisition was probably part of that.

Last year I started on my 3rd box of 120 TSX bullets so include about maybe 30 or 40 for site in over the course of 20 years all the rest have been used to harvest whitetails. Been a regular event for me to show up at my church with a 96 qt cooler full of venison and leave with it empty.

I am not suggesting that what I do works for whitetails everywhere in fact when I go after Canadian whitetails I use my 308 win and 130 TSX which IMO turns my 308 into a 270. I have harvested several 200+ pound whitetails with that combo and am more than pleased with performance as well. I too harvested my first whitetail in the late 70's with my dads 3030 with iron sites and old school cup and core bullets a nifty 160 pound 11 point with a basket rack that is still on my wall despite the fact that I have about 40 bigger ones in my shed.

I would have elaborated further yesterday but I had a glass of scotch and said I'll pick this up later.

Good luck with the upcoming season y'all