Have mentioned this before, but during a hunting-camp conversation with Randy Brooks around 15 years ago, he told me the original X-Bullets tended to lose their petals, and he thought that enhanced "killing power." But so many hunters considered high weight retention the primary measure of a big game bullet (especially 100% retention) that he eventually modified the bullets until they tended not to lose petals--unless, of course, they hit substantial bone.

These days the opinion pendulum is apparently swinging the other way--and not just with the X's designed for rounds like the Blackout, but the LRX. Its front end is "softer" than the standard TSX's, so it will expand reliably at longer ranges, where velocity has dropped off.

Have always wondered how so many TSX users know the bullets retain so much weight, when so many claim they're never recovered one.

This doesn't mean Eileen and I don't use a LOT of TSX's. We do--but we also use E-Tips and GMX's, and a bunch of other bullets. Have found they all work very well--if you understand their performance parameters, and put them in the right place....

But if you're convinced one bullet is The Answer....

Last edited by Mule Deer; 09/12/19.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck