Originally Posted by dave7mm
[quote=dave7mm] Parker Ackley over 50 years ago stated that the 220 Swift,with proper bullets, was the best one shot killer of deer and deer sized game animals ever devised.
Those that disagreed had never tried it.
The proper bullet was a bullet of his design called the Ackley CE bullet.CE for controlled expansion.A copper mono bullet with 10g of lead in the nose.If I remember right it weighed 48g.
They did hundreds of tests.Went on hunts and shot deer, goats, and pigs side by side with 06s and 7mm Mags with the bullets of the day.Ackley built many Swift rifles and placed them in the field with his bullets.
The reports always came back the same.
Hands down, the Swift was the better one shot killer by a wide margin.
Not even close.
You can read about it in Ackleys handbook for shooters and reloaders....It makes for pretty interesting reading.

Although im not usuing a Swift myself i've found that light copper mono bullets driven for all there worth put deer down quicker then conventional rounds.
Im reminded of the time I decided to take my 375 H&H deer hunting.A 250g Sierra spbt on a large doe at 130 yards.knocked the doe to its knees and then a 65 yard death run.Chest shot.
You kind of shake you head and go huh?

These days I follow Ackley.
I r

I agree. To analyze the "cup and core" vs. "mono" choice without adding variables such as impact velocity is silly, and counter productive. P.O. Ackley was right, and, by extension, Roy Weatherby. Speed kills.

Every since monos came to the mass market, I've been shooting light for caliber monos. Mostly Barnes, some GS customs. Drive them very, very fast and animals at modest distances die like they were pole-axed.

I have a pretty thorough understanding of statistics, and telling someone that their experience with several score of animals is invalid when the external variables such as sd/bullet weight, distance, animal size and impact speed do not vary...... is not credible.

It is very easy to construct a scenario where the mono will kill faster than an expanding bullet (like a cup and core). Just drive a very light for caliber mono very, very fast, and a very heavy for caliber expanding bullet, and the mono will outshine the expanding bullet.

That, and no lead in my meat. The argument that "lead bullets don't leave tragments in meat", is, in my opinion, untenable. Especially someone feeding a young family. The science is pretty well established (see for example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2669501/ ).

Sic Semper Tyrannis