Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by BWalker
JB's assessment of how monos work in regards to the damage done vs. traditional cup and core bullets is spot on.
If you think a barnes TSX or TTSX reduces lungs to red soup I question your definition of red soup.
I might also add that I use monos exclusively now and have been for several years due to the lead issue. However, I am under no illusion that they killas quickly as lead and copper bullets because they dont. The very nature of there design hampers massive damage, which a large factor in how fast an animal expires.

Monos may not do as much damage as something like a VLD, on average, but they typically do plenty of damage when driven fast, as you know.

A 5" hole through a pair of bull moose lungs, which typically aren't easy to turn to soup because of their shear size. Bullet was a 7mm 140gr TTSX driven at 3300 fps, and impact was about 200 meters, IIRC. The majority of each lung surrounding the wound path was mushy and bruised.

[Linked Image]

In all honesty that's not blood soup and you are stretching the wound open.. I have shot deer with lead and copper bullets that didnt have much of any any recognizable lung tissue left.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/14/19.