Originally Posted by xxclaro
I beleive the title of the article is a bit misleading. If I read the article correctly, it merely states that 50% have quit a job, not quit working altogether. Gotta take some of these articles with grain of salt.....if a survey asks if you've ever changed jobs because the job you had was miserable and you answer yes, they'd say you quit your job due to mental health reasons.

I will agree that the government is doing a lot of things to demoralize young folks and remove incentive to work....if you give people enough free stuff that they don't need to work much, while at the same time taxing them so badly that working seems useless, its not surprising that many people opt to quit a [bleep] job. Working towards an achievable goal is what keeps people motivated and feeling like that have purpose. If someone can't see a real benefit to the work they are doing, they probably won't do it long.

I agree. I don't think this article is claiming that 50% of millennials have stopped working, but that 50% have left a job sometime in their lives due to their 'mental health'. I am guessing many of us have left jobs we hated for some reason or another. Part of the difference probably comes from the fact that older generations stigmatize 'mental health issues', and would therefore not admit to leaving a job for those reasons. Also, with disappearing manufacturing and other trade jobs, older people working longer, plus the great recession, a lot of the millennials have been doing crappy jobs in retail, services, etc.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen