Technically, I am a first or second year millennial. Born in 1982, I turned 37 this summer. I tried a couple of years in college to get a biology degree (all out of pocket, no loans) but for various reasons, I had to quit college and start working full time. Shortly after that, I bought a small starter home in 2006. When I got tired of my auto parts store position not providing enough to cover the bills and leave some for toys and savings, I entered into an apprenticeship at the local shipyard.

12 years later, I'm still at the same company and manage a team of 30 planners that support all aspects of the company. I am currently pulling a low 6 figure salary and often look back at some of my choices in life. I wonder if completing college would have put me in a better spot. I wanted to be a marine biologist something fierce. Seeing a few of my coworkers with thousands upon thousands of dollars in student loans has me thinking I have done okay.

My wife stays at home and home-schools our daughter. We just bought another house last summer...an older home in good shape with more room for the family to move about. Mortgage is less than $150K and notes are well within my financial capabilities. I still drive my '02 Dodge 2500 but just had to buy my wife a newer vehicle after she got side-swiped on the interstate. We found a 2012 GMC Accadia with less than 80K miles on it that we paid $10K cash for. The starter home has now become a rental property that is paying for itself.

I always called my father "CHEAP" growing up but I guess his habits have rubbed off on me. I agree with him now and call it "FRUGAL." I am not flush with cash...but definitely not poor either. I am doing everything I can to dump money into savings and retirement...definitely keeping my eyes on financial independence and retirement. Early retirement if possible.