Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by rte
Originally Posted by victoro
You're making it way too complicated. You need oils, fats and animal protein in your diet. Vegan diets can be very dangerous unless you don't know exactly what you're doing. Eat what you like to eat but if you want to keep the weight off and avoid sugar (even in fruit/alcohol), white rice. white potatoes and anything with white flour in it as much as possible. Also be physically active as much as possible.

I read that vegetarians live 2-3 years longer than meat eaters.

The only animal products that do NOT have a longevity penalty are eggs and fish. (Frequent) red meat has the highest penalty, due to the by products created by our digestive process.

I eat lots of eggs, lots of fish, and a fair amount of other animal protein. Life's too short to live without a good variety of beef, deer, elk and pork....

I mean, give up bacon for a few weeks more life? Get real......

When we start looking at disease prevention and the actual diets of some of those studies we can get a different picture than just a few weeks difference. Some of the vegan diets may not be healthy at all. I could eat nothing but Twinkies and Oreo's and be on a vegan diet. What we need to look at are how much lower risks of certain disease is just by a diet change. Look at that info and the lifespans and diets of the longest lived peoples on earth historically. You can see exactly when the processed food and more Americanized diets entered in the culture and the health problems associated with those things.