Originally Posted by RMiller2
Originally Posted by westernsloper
I'm comparing two calibers shooting the same type of bullet of similar weights, and it's raised some questions for me. Since I don't reload, I've been looking at ELD-X factory offerings from Hornady, the 143 gr out of a 6.5 creed and the 145 out of a 270 Win.

The 6.5 has a higher ballistic coefficient, but the 270 Win has a muzzle velocity (according to Hornady's numbers) of 500 fps more than the 6.5. The difference in velocity narrows as distance increases - that is the effect of the higher BC of the 6.5, right? However, at 500 yards, the bullet from 270 is still 100 fps faster.

Does this mean that 270 will have much more killing power from 0-500 yards? Seems like the 500 fps at the muzzle is a significant difference, but how about the 100 fps at 500 yards? Is 100 fps enough to make a difference?

Does higher BC factor into how the bullet will perform when it actually hits the target?

You can see from the charts that the 270 remains ahead in velocity to 500 and is still going faster at that range. The results are different at longer ranges but for my hunting the bullet could fall out of the sky at 401 yards and I would not care. I filled my buck tag with my bow this rifle season.

In my opinion you may not see a difference between the two from the muzzle to 500 yards.

Does higher BC factor into how the bullet will perform when it actually hits the target? Not one bit.

Pick one and go hunting.

^^^ this^^^
For 99%of hunting you won't see any difference. If I was starting out from scratch, the Creed might be the way to go, Higher BC's, less recoil, yadda yadda yadda but I'm not selling my 270 or buying anything new any time soon.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor