Bill N;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the last Friday of 2019 finds you well.

Thanks for the interesting topic and the educational reading that it's provided.

Whenever this topic comes up, I'm reminded of a good buddy from the Yukon who when asked that same question by me replied, "Caribou". When I asked him what was his least favorite, he replied, "Caribou 2 months later..." wink

Off the top of my head and dragging up some distant memories it'd be something like this for me personally.

Sitka Blacktail
Young Moose
Whitetail
Early Mulie buck
Vineyard/orchard raiding Black Bear
Elk
California Bighorn
Blacktail
Good Pronghorn
Nanny Mountain Goat
Cougar

Over the years at game banquets we've had Caribou, Bobcat, Beaver and most of the above listed species too. However as it's cooked for a large group I'll leave them out other than to say I've had small samples.

Way, way back in the day I've sampled Zebra, Cape Buffalo, Klipspringer and Hartebeest. As it was a lifetime ago - 1975 - I recall thinking Zebra was really good, but otherwise nothing stands out.

Also I should further state that we've had some "old bull Moose" that was flavorful, but even the burger was tough, with a similar experience with a big old billy Mountain Goat.

We had friends here in BC who made an annual trip down to Wyoming for a few years prior to 9/11 when it became much tougher for us Canucks to travel south of the medicine line with firearms. The first year or two they shared Pronghorn with us that was fantastic, then the next year or perhaps two were much, much less than fantastic. I can't for the life of me recall if we ever figured out why that was - sorry.

While I don't mind the taste of mutton, my good wife and one daughter do not, so that's why the California Bighorn rates there. I'd say as a broad statement that if one doesn't like mutton, they won't prefer wild sheep as table fare, but that's just one guy's opinion as always.

Lastly, I struggled with where to place the vineyard/orchard raiding Black Bear as one we had was simply spectacular and the rest were just "really pretty fine eating" grin That said, it is bear and some folks just can't get over eating a bear - which I honestly struggle with a tad for reasons which are inexplicable and irrational at best.

That's my list anyway sir and thanks again.

All the best to you all in 2020.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"