Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Bear tastes like **it.

Has anybody tried alligator. That’s some good **it!

Agreed can't believe all the votes for bear... Bear is sausage\kielbasa\pepperoni makins around here.

Judman;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that your Christmas was a good one and this finds you and yours well.

As a wee point of clarification, I'll add that our black bear experience has been with Okanagan black bears which typically don't have access to a lot of carrion, garbage dumps or salmon runs. Between our family and some friends who would cut their game at our place, I'd think the sample would have been roughly 12-15 bears, so not a whole pile.

A good buddy who guided up on the north coast for bigger black bears than we have around here mentioned a very strong fish smell from many or most of them. In addition I'll say that we've got family on Vancouver Island who aren't crazy about bear meat in any form either, so there you go.

Back on the prairies, the bears who were taken off grain fields were often said to be good table fare, but that's going off what other's said and not a lot of personal experience beyond a roast or two.

We've got a "private land" season here that starts in August which is more or less for vineyard and orchard owners to have their friends deal with problem bears rather than calling the Conservation Officers. The absolute best black bear I can recall eating was likely a 2 year old shot by a contractor friend of ours who was asked to do so by the owner of the vineyard he was putting an addition onto.

Honestly the back leg he gave us smelled like grape juice before any marinating... cool

We ended up doing it as a wrapped roast after I removed the leg bone, then we did a salt, pepper and herbs de Provence sorta rub, browned it and then cooked it in a local red wine.

Anyway sir, as mentioned just a clarification on why I personally put black bear - with the correct diet - so high on the list.

All the best to you and yours in 2020.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"