Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
When I do another long action cartridge, it will likely be a .270, twisted to spin these:

https://bergerbullets.com/product/270-caliber-170-grain-extreme-outer-limits-eol-elite-hunter/

I know it sounds odd but I have my reasons:

-If I need it, factory .270 ammo is available anywhere.
-More .277 high BC VLD type bullets are starting to show up. With bullets similar to the Berger linked above it will hang with pretty much anything out there. Someone on this forum often voices the astute observation that “bullets matter more than headstamps.”
-I have more DRT kills with a .270 than any other cartridge. Probably just luck of the draw when compared to other cartridges but it inspires much confidence.
-Finally, similarly to the 6.5 Creedmoor, I’d do it just to irritate all the haters. 😂😂

John

John, the 270 would be what I'd do, but since it didn't come up by the OP I didn't venture into the red light district of the 270. Hence the 6.5x55 recommendation. smile

On a Model 70, me three.

A fast twist 270 would be fun. Tweak some noses too. smile

Did it. Rebarreled a Kimber 84L to 270Win with a 1:8 Lilja factory contour dupe @22”. 150gn ABLR’s @ 3050 via r-26 in Rem brass.

Can’t imagine going with those 170 Bergers @ .661 vs a150 ABLR @ .591 Given the velocity and mag box confines one would lose w/the extra 20gn of bullet weight........

The Kimber long action magazine constraints have been mentioned often. Definitely facing some limitations there. Not sure what COAL the long action Winchester will allow, so would definitely do some measuring before going with an ‘06 case with long VLD type bullets. A long action 700 magazine will allow about 3.7” so no worries there.

Edited to add that a little googling tells me the LA M70 magazine is 3.4”. So, were it me, for anything in an ‘06 case, I would load up a dummy or two with the longest bullet I will shoot through it and see what’s what before jumping in.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 01/05/20. Reason: magazine length

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14