Originally Posted by gunner500

Hondo, you bet, will send dummy rounds off for build, do you think throating for a coal of 3.000 inch would be good? damn plenty of bullet shank to chase throat erosion as well as generous mag box length for the chasing, truth be told, and so many guns to shoot, I may never need to do that.

I would pick a few bullets you are going to focus on and seat those bullets where the heal of the bullet is just a hair above the neck/shoulder junction. Current wisdom says you want to stay above the neck/shoulder junction because that’s where a donut may form, particularly if using bushing dies. That being said, due to magazine constraints, I’ve shot rounds seated well into the case for years without seeing the ill effects of my ignorance. However, if the magazine length allows it, avoiding the donut area is probably a good idea. Based on Josh’s pics and measurements, your 3.4” box will allow you to do that, no problem.

Use the dummy that has the shortest cartridge base-to-ogive measurement. That will allow you to reach the lands with any of the other bullets too. Tell your smith to throat so that your dummy kisses the lands. That should allow you to chase the lands for a bit, since the Swede has a fairly long neck.

I have come across ‘smiths that don’t do throating separately. If hard set on using that ‘smith, that would require a custom reamer, or possibly one of the reamer manufacturers would have a design very close to your specs. I know of at least one reamer manufacture that will make a reamer based on the dummy you send them. I would be surprised if most of them wouldn’t do that.

Is it necessary to be able to kiss the lands? Maybe not, but some bullets give their best accuracy that way, so no point in taking that option off the table. If your bullet prefers some jump, you can always seat deeper.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14