Originally Posted by keith
I bought 10 boxes of the 175g LRAB, they work in all calibers I shoot 280 AI and 7 RM. 175g LRAB penetrates deer, near and far. I sort by ogive length.

Never being satisfied, I ordered a 7 Mashburn and 7-300 practical reamers along with unithroater. I will try the 180g eld-M at those speeds this year, barrels will finish at 27", #5 contours with Gentry muzzle breaks.

I shot some acceptable groups with a custom 7 STW this year with the 180g eld-M, we shot some does at the end of season here in SC, and a coyote. All died in their tracks. I am hopeful that the 180g eldm will be holding up as these shots were 100-125 yards with MV of 3150 fps using R#33. I had complete penetration on the does, one shot from a quartering angle. Hogs will be the test.

I am hoping that my horde of old Winchester brass will hold up in the Mashburn and 7/300 Practical...we will see how the primer pockets last. I just tried the 180g Hornady eldm in a 7/08 that I throated out, glory be, 2640fps shooting tiny groups with H4350, will try R#17 next. Lapua brass is holding up the primer pockets well. 8.5 twist is my choice.

Hard to believe, but a std 280 or AI throated for the 180g eldm using lapua brass maybe the holy grail using only a fraction of the powder of a 7 STW. A standard 280 will be very easy to work with regarding using Lapua brass.

The Mashburn should be a piece of cake with the 180 ELD's. I have a Henricksen reamer coming with a live pilot so I can throat rifles how I want. That has been my issue with the Mashburn is the reamers are all over the map. With the 3.650 mag box I had one gun that was sorta short throated, but still worked decent and this current one is a mile long, but must be straight enough to shoot as it handled the 195 Bergers real well at 2950 with RL33 with a mile of jump.

I'll be watching Keith with your hog results with the 180 ELD. The aero form is heads and shoulders above anything I have used to this point.

I have a Remington action and a Shrike at the house I am making into a 280 to copy you all that are miles ahead of me on building them. I am wanting a lighter weight rifle for longer hiking days, but with some reach. Thinking that'll get set up for the 175/180 ELD's since I am hoping it'll be gentle enough on them to not grenade on elk bones. I like being able to use Lapua brass for cases as well. Makes life easier.

Semper Fi