My first Tundra was an ‘07 short bed regular cab 4x4 with the 4.7L V8. It was a good solid vehicle with one exception. The air injection pumps and valves failed after the 36,000 mile warranty was up. I was looking at a $3k repair bill but the problem was so widespread that Toyota extended the warranty to those parts to ten years or 150,000 miles. Once repaired I had no further major issues with that truck. It averaged about 15.5 mpg in my daily commute, which is 30 miles one way. About 25 of it is farm to market or US highway with 70 to 75mph speed limits. On long distance highway driving with the cruise set on 75, it got about 17.5 mpg.

When that truck had about 175,000 miles on it, I traded it in on a ‘10 model that was identical but had the 5.7L V8. That truck had about 90,000 miles on it when I traded for it. It has been a pretty good truck but only getting 14.5mpg on the same daily commute. On extended highway trips with cruise set at 75, it gets about 16.5mpg. A couple of days ago, it gave me a flashing traction control, a flashing 4 Lo and a steady check engine light and went into the limp mode. Took it to the local O’Reilly’s and had them read the codes for me. Same issue as the ‘07, air injection valve stuck open. Problem this time is the truck now has 172,000 miles on it so those parts are not covered by Toyota’s extended warranty. The O’Reilly guy cleared the code for me, and so far, it has not reoccurred. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Both trucks also had the electric window mechanism fail after water intrusion followed by the water freezing.

The air injection problems are pretty well known and widespread so I would caution prospective buyers to be aware of that.

My truck has to be my daily driver and I have a long commute So I really wish for better milage. I do some towing, maybe a load of cows/calves a few times a year and the Tundra does ok with the 16’ trailer full of cattle.

When I replace this Tundra I will likely try one of the Ford F150s with the 3.5L eco boost. I hope for better milage and to avoid any major repairs and I don’t tow enough to justify an F250. We’ll see...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14