I grew up poor. My father had passed & it was just me & my mother. Hunting put meat on the table. I have been hunting all my life starting with rabbits. It was mandatory rabbits were approached close enough to make head shots only. If I shot a rabbit thru the body I would catch it from my mother. That's how I grew up. So putting wild meat on the table is still important to us. We consider the meat a gift from God & therefore to be treated with care & keep waste to a minimum. There are those who hunt mainly for the horns so they care little if copious amounts of meat are destroyed . That is why Colorado mandates that the meat be harvested . If the meat is not brought out it is a felony . I always use the stoutest bullets like the mono's because they have absolutely proven to me over the years to be the least destructive to valuable meat. As the saying goes you can eat right up to the hole where a mono passes thru. The elk I took this past season was hit thru both front shoulders with a 6.5 & the 121 gr Hammer mono. This was the only shot I had thru a window in thick brush. As it turned out almost no meat lost or blood shot . Very positive. When it comes to elk the mono's are the only bullet I use.