Hey Jim Knight, I use a .270 Winchester with a 130 grain Sierra Game King and have for almost 40 years. It's killed a truck load of white tails and about 10 hogs. I like my .06 for hogs. The .270 kills them fine, but I have a lazer light on my Model 700 SPS .30-06 for hogs at night. I do head-neck shots on both deer and hogs when possible. I like the way a Game King takes out a large area of the neck severing thet spine and putting the deer down grave yard dead right in its tracks.

I admit I'm inexperienced on anything other than Texas Game which includes Bear, Elk, and Antilope. I come on here to learn even though I'm opinionated on what I feel I know, just don't know crap about much else than White Tail or Hogs. I have never hunted elk, though I'd kill for the opportunity. I have shot coyotes, there's a few thousand down here and bob cats, and I have shot a lot of small game, rabbits and squirrels. I've been Nilgai hunting but never got a shot. I took my .300 Weatherby with a 200 grain Sierra Game King for that. I also took along my 9.3x62 with a 270 grain Speer hot core which I've taken deer with.

Also, the Sierra Game King on Deer AND Hogs penetrates into the body cavity and makes a quagmire of blood and they usually don't go far. But I still prefer a neck or head shot if its at close range, like under 100 yards. But if its much over 100 yards I find that if I can slip it in between the ribs it expands in the lungs and makes fast work of it. I love reading your posts Jim.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/06/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!