Thanks Fil, I'm only 5yrs younger than you! I left Texas in '87 for the Ministry and still have family there. My BIL still uses his Mod 742/308/150 Sierra GameKings on everything down there! Over in Liberty Co. I liked the old Red Box Federals 30-06 ( remember those) back in '79 that were loaded with the Sierra 165 GKs. It made my dad's old Mod 742 jammomatic go from 6" to 4" at 100! But, I never killed anything with it past 60yds ( they don't call it The Big Thicket for nothing ha) It held together fine at close range, didn't ruin as much meat as the 150 Corlokt even. There was only one .270 win in our group, and he never killed anything with it around me, so I could never compare it to anything. As a kid & teen, all the "old folks" said a .270 was "too da--ed fast for the woods! It would blow up on a twig! No scopes either..."you can't use a scope in the woods son". ha It was tough trying to be a gun looney around that mentality, I tell you! I've never seen a Nilgai in the wild, even on the Exotic ranches I hunted from Uvalde to Del Rio to Sanderson back to leakey. I never moved any oilfield equipment south, or West of Freer or past Port Lavaca further down on the coast. They tell me they are a worthy animal to hunt! Maybe you will run into a "free range" escapee from the King Ranch some day! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/07/20.