Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Tenants? Under thirty?

WTF are you talking about?

What you appear to be saying is that anyone over 30 is a fool to invest in stocks. Are you serious?

Next paragraph (New paragraphs usually indicate the beginning of new trains of thought) - What are you going to do when your tenants default on their leases?

Couple that with "retirement is the time for low yield safe investments."

If you want my definition of "lots of time to recover losses", that would be ten to fifteen years before retirement. Age 50 to 55. That is about typical recovery time for modern recessions.

I was taught early: Gamble what you can afford to lose, because there is a good chance you will.

And I still have no idea what you are talking about tenants. I sure as hell do not own any rental properties.

I would guess that someone who does, then has disposable assets to get him through times of famine and pestilence.

I think very few of the billionaires in the world got that way by holding onto stock in a plummeting market. They got that way by buying low and selling high.

Idaho_Shooter got it right!

He is talking about me. Yet I have been through the 2008 crash and well never lost a rent payment yet. If you screen your tenants you can figure out pretty easy who will and who won't pay. My first tenant showed up at my property in 2005 in a 1990-93? Honda Civic. He and his wife both had jobs at large established businesses. Ran a credit check on them both great credit. Paid for a background check on them. Clean there as well. Never a single problem. I did have one issue that I won't call a problem. I bought a house with an existing tenant in there. I carried out the remaining lease with her. She was late on two payments. She paid me the rent plus the late fee the first time. I told her I don't need the late fee, clearly she wasn't in a good place and me collecting the late fee isn't going to help her or me in the long run. She was late again one other time and I told her pay me as soon as you can. Shortly after I hired a Property management company as I was away they kicked her out after about 6 months for complaints by the neighbor. Other than that no problems and no drama. But I do my due diligence and I screen my tenants.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.