Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I can’t speak for other parts of the country. I know for a fact that the politicians here do anything possible to bring “good paying jobs to area.” The politicians go as far as giving them multi million dollar tax breaks just so the companies will choose this location to build huge factories . These factories inevitably result in thousands of jobs collectively (Hemlock semiconductor is just one example) . Hell, there is an industrial park (hundreds of acres) that the local government has set aside for nothing but bringing good paying jobs to the area. I’m just not seeing a lack of jobs as the reason . Although, I will agree that something SHOULD change because the current strategy is not working.

The jobs and opportunities are there, the problem is drawing people out of the slums to go get them.

If you live in a ghetto there are a finite number of low paying jobs in the area. It doesn't take an Asian to figure out that if the government is going to pay me just as much to not work, as McDonalds is going to pay me to go to work, that individual isn't going to work.

When you cut off government welfare programs you will see these problems fix themselves. People will have to work. The jobs within walking distance will be snatched up. People will have to spread out. Selling narcotics becomes less lucrative because people don't have any money to sit and smoke all day. They have to go to work. This causes gangs to dry up or at least shrink in size. This is why the free market always works, it self corrects.

Yes there will be a rough transition period and there will be riots in the streets. But when you deviate from the principles of a free market you're going to get that anyway. The only way to right the ship is to get back to the free market.

This is why Irish slums and Italian slums stayed that way for short (relatively) periods of time. They had to go to work. They simply had to in order to survive. That is not the case in the slums of today.

Agreed in principle

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 06/01/20.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]