Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by kingston
Humans are designed to thrive. It's what we do. It's time the black community ceases to be the principle fuel for an industry of special interests masquerading as a progressive political movement. I still believe that people are born good and equal, with a destiny to be free.

How can you deprive such noble industries like the Prison industry...or the Judicial industry....of much needed grist?

Oh, the Welfare and Entitlement industries as well.

Central to any argument for a publicly funded mass transit project is getting people to jobs. With the decline of American cities in the last quarter of the 20th Century, there was an opportunity to bring jobs back in town to people. However, as cities were reborn and sought out by boomers and millennials, they became gentrified. Part of that process pushed lower income residents, light and heavy industry, and industrial infrastructure (like freight rail lines) out. Lower skilled jobs were shipped overseas. The resulting service economy produced lots of jobs, but they were spread out and often located in zip codes where workers couldn’t afford to live.

Here we are again with the opportunity to bring jobs to back the US and back to floundering urban areas, will we do it?

Can we bring jobs like the ones that make these things back to the good ol' US of A? Any takers on a bet that the whole f'n factory, tooling and machinery, packed up and moved to China and left an empty building.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Honestly, can it be that hard to make a profit stamping out some friggen hooks and eyes from some cheap steel, even given "environmental regulations" ( I like clean air and water, personally), OSHA rules ( I like safe workplaces too), and minimum wages? Would it help if I paid a penny more per hook/eye set? $0.02? which equals another $0.25 per pack over the $10 or so that I paid. I'd do it, to have a doodad factory in/near Watts, Logan Heights, or any other "slum", barrio, or ghetto in the States.

Having come from a family in NYC, where public transportation was a way of life (My mother never did learn to drive) it does make sense that to get folks on their feet they should have a way to get to work relatively quickly, and inexpensively. A factory making doodads near that hood, that pays better than MickeyD's might be of some use?

After we cut back on the checks for sure. Birdie's right, awful lot of folks over there on the Dole, same as here, only skin color is different. Slowly cut the funding, and provide some chances at non-minimum wage jobs and see what happens.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?