Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Guys, list your accurizing tips and tricks for the AR platform rifle. I was talking to a shop owner who builds custom precision AR's and he was telling me about some of the things he suggests for accurizing ar rifles. I'll list what he named off and see what you think. It would be nice to hear from some of you guys that shot the MOA all day long and black rifle challenge here. Anyway, here's the starting of a list from the guy at the shop:

1. Truing the face of the upper receiver.
2. Accu wedge to remove slop in upper and lower receiver fit.
3. Captured recoil spring system. JP enterprises or Armaspec stealth buffer system.
4. 2 stage match/varmint trigger or single stage match trigger with anti walk pins.
5. Barrel properly torqued.
6. Anyone here care to explain how to bed a barrel into a receiver?
7. Good quality barrel: What's your favorite? WOA, Shillen, Windaham Weaponry, Noveske, Wilson Combat, etc.
8. Tuned handloads.
9. Comfortable butt stock. I prefer the PRS stock for shooting prone or off the bench.
10. Good comfortable grip. I prefer the K2+
11. Good solid cantilever scope mount.
12. Proven scope. My favorites for the AR are the AR556 and AR762 4.5-14x42 made by Burris.
13. Good solid beefy upper. Which do you prefer? My favorite is Northtech Defense.
14. Freefloating handguard.

I agree quite a bit with this list. I do #1 and #2, never used #3 but instead Sprinco Blue spring with an H1 buffer and an SLR adjustable gas block, prefer single stage match triggers, have bedded barrels with the green Loc-tite but tried #243 and so far it's worked, like WOA barrels, have a Super-chicken 3-9 HD on my .223 Wylde, a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8X36 CDS on my 6.8 SPC II, and prefer either thermo-fitting a BCM or using a Vltor MUR-1 and bedding it.

The Leupold has worked great so far, this rifle will see time in the woods so I kept that in mind.

I have several rifles with a Midwestern Industries Gen3 handguard, and one additional step I take is to not let the handguard contact the upper. I don't know if it helps, but I feel better knowing if I load uo the handguard it won't transfer any pressure to the upper. I give it .010" to .015".

My biggest issue is finding the proper setting for the nut between the buttpad and the chair....

Ha ha. I think that is the weak link for most of us here. The nut behind the butt... I really noticed that when I was first learning to shoot the AR. It was a learning experience for me and still is. I find that finding the right parts to adapt the ar platform to the use really helps. One of the reason I listed the grip and buttstock and good trigger in my list. If anything, it helps with comfort and with comfort comes better/more consistent accuracy. At least for me it does. Good point on the handguard not touching the barrel too. Freefloating the hanguard has been known to help with consistency. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I noticed weird/wild groupings from my 6WOA after changing my handguard. I realized the screws that attach the Noveske NSR handguard to the barrel nut were touching the barrel. I figured that was a major issue and ground down the screws so they were not in contact with the barrel anymore, the groups instantly shrank and were right back to where they were when I was using the ugly as hell hogue handguard. Its little things like that, that one doesn't think about, but could be a major issue that should be brought up in a thread like this. It may help someone out if they are experiencing the same issues.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA