Originally Posted by rost495
OT here a bit. But so much thanks to John 79S.
Finally due to a covid slow fishing clients year he drug me out to double string match at 600 the other day.

Its been about 16 years since I"ve shot a match. Used his gun and ammo. It was AR tactical. Was told by others we couldn't use a small bag on the rear so the gun moved way more than it would in a sling to me.

That said, no excuses, but I"m rusty and old. His gun shoots great. Load is accurate. But this isn't shooting off a bench at 100 yards to see if the gun is capable.

Richardson had some wind the other night. Match was 5-11 pm. Wind would come from right to left and then it would come up behind you and trickle down the range and wiggle waggle. The best flag to read on the range was not accurate to me. The ones that were had a wide variance of what they meant. And cease fire for small aircraft below 5000 feet were common.

Best one could do is try to set up in the 10 ring as best you could, and protect yourself from 9s and IF you got a condition bang em down as fast as the target would come back up from scoring.

195 and some Xs and 198 and some Xs. Not really pretty. Could be much prettier if I used a rear bag instead of using muscle power.

The folks at the Alaska Rifle Club are some great folks! They did an outstanding job running pits and match. although spray adhesive was new to me in the pits. LOL. And I forgot the double meatball if you accidentally pull a target from under someone. HARD to see the faces. No way to see impacts. Took me some time to get used to hearing the right crack of the bullet. But I enjoy pit puling too.

Even saw a relic with open sights on the line.

Thanks John! Sorry for embarrassing your rifle so badly. But seemed it was a decent score overall.

Just goes to show that 10 at 100 isnt nearly the same as 20 at 600 from position, with pit service and twitchy winds.

Jeff

Sounds like good times. All the more reason to be shooting a sub MOA AR-15. Regardless of how wobbly the human element is. In competition I would take a half MOA rifle over a 1.5 Moa rifle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA