If I were still toting a 308 Winchester along rivers here in Alaska, I'd be using some sort of 200 grain flat-base, lead core bullet.

If a 1:10 ratio on the rifling:

Alliant 2000 MR gave 2450 fps-2550 fps with three different 200 grainers from three different rifles with barrels from 20"-22". Same thing with reloader 17. Trajectory to 300 yards, was excessively flat and precise, compared to the generous-sized kill zone of a moose.

With most moose hunting, boat tail bullets contribute nothing, advantage wise. Most shots are in close.

Since the little 308 is lacking capacity compared to other cartridges like the 30-06, stick with flat based, lead core bullets, rather than eating up powder space. A flat base 200 grain lead core bullet is not overly long, but they penetrate fairly well. They expand reliably at 308 velocity.

Quartering-towards, head-on and quartering-away shots are not something Id pass up. Penetration is more important than velocity or range.

I dont consider moose as easy to kill as some folks claim. These odd-angles encountered, theres a lot of animal that bullet must past through.

In my world, if a moose isn't anchored closely to where I pull the trigger, recovery could get tricky.

If 1:12 twist, which is common with the 308, I've seen this twist fail to stabilize certain 200 grain bullets. A 180 grainer would be a safe bet there.