I have shot a couple moose at 250 or so yards with my .308's, and a few at closer range. I can't figure out any reasonable excuse for using a bullet less than 165 grains. A 150 might work just fine, and usually does, but if you hit the joint where the humerus / scapula meet up, a standard construction 150 grain bullet will often not penetrate to the vitals. Have seen that a few times. Compared to an inch or three more drop of 180's, most 150's have nothing useful to offer on a target the size of a moose. An exception could be made for the 150 gr. Barnes or similar all copper bullets. The .308 bullet I have the most moose experience with is the 180 gr. Nosler Partition, and I highly recommend it. Consistent, and deadly. But a 165 gr. Remington core lokt, Nosler Accubond, or Nosler Partiton would do as well. If I was forced to use one bullet in my .308 rifles for game animals bigger than deer it would be a Norma Oryx, 165 gr. Any similar bullet that holds together, gives deep penetration even through heavy bone, with adequate expansion and is accurate in your rifle would be OK for moose. I personally would not use any Berger, Hornady SST, Sierra target bullets, or similar frangible bullet for hunting moose.

Last edited by castnblast; 09/01/20.