Jerry,

The quickest-deadest I've seen a bull moose killed with a double lung shot was with a .270 Winchester and the 150-grain Partition. By almost any measure the .308 is just about the same as the .270--except for slightly larger bullet diameter.

Did kill a big Alaskan moose with the .338 Winchester Magnum and the 230-grain Winchester Fail safe. It was almost facing me at around 100 yards, so I aimed just inside the near shoulder. Like Charlie-NY's bull, it "lurched up into the air and flipped over backwards" or something like that. It looked more like a bucking horse standing on its hind legs, then falling over backwards and sideways and rolling down a stream-bank about 12-15 feet high, landing on the flat gravel below.

It looked pretty dead, but within a couple seconds got up again and lurched into the river itself, whereupon my guide said, "DON'T SHOOT HIM IN THE WATER!"

The bull tried to cross the river, but ended up dying in the deepest part of the channel, with ONE tine of it's antlers about 3 inches above the surface. The next six hours were very interesting. Turned out the bullet had made a good-sized hole in the chest innards, ended up resting against the front of the pelvis.

Have seen a lot of elk-sized game killed with the .308, African plains game and ELK. With a bullet that expands and penetrates sufficiently, it kills such game very well. If it doesn't kill whitetails very well for you, hmm....

If you actually had some experience with the OP's question, that would be interesting. Otherwise not.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck