Originally Posted by catnthehat
There are tons of swamp donkeys taken every year inn Alberta with 308,s, most of them with 180 whatevers.

In my personal rifle I use either 180 or 215 grain KKSP bullets made by C.I.L. from way back when, but have also killed one with a 150 TSX .
Same old thing, what you hit them with is not nearly so important as WHERE you hit them!
If your rifle and you are capable of MOA at 500 yards , fill yer boots.
Personally I like them a tad closer with my hunting rifles........
Cat

Remington and CIL were the last two companies that produced regular, cup and core 215s. My first moose was taken with a No 1 Mk III and a 215 gr. CIL KKSP. That was the rifle I talked about that had scotch tape holding the rear sight down to keep it from hopping. I always felt that a heavy bullet was all I needed because long shots might have been 100 yd. Probably less where we hunted. Since I still hunt thickly wooded boreal forests, I don't bother with any fancy bullets.

When you asked if I was still making 200 gr. bullets, I thought about the letters and pictures guys used to send me of their hunts with them. Some guy in Winnipeg bought 500. I assumed he wanted them to last a long time. But most hunters sold off their 303s for 308s or 300 WMs. Buying a 308 was understandable. You could get ammunition everywhere, and there wasn't much on the continent that remained standing with a good hit. But the 300WM?

I have a running joke with a couple of gun shops after moose season. How many 300 WMs did you take in trade? A fair number return each year, but hardly any 308s. And like I always say, that's to be expected. A 308 is merely a rimless 303.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]