Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
A 308 Win is the same as a 30-06, it's just a matter of distance.

I am continually amazed by the misunderstanding that if a 30-06 shooting a 180 grain bullet is adequate for moose at X distance and the bullet is travelling Y velocity at X distance, then a 308 Win is also adequate for moose at Z distance when a 180 grain bullet is travelling Y velocity at Z distance when fired from a 308 Win.

Here is an interesting example, I suspect everyone on this forum would be comfortable shooting a moose at 200 yards with a 30-06, 22 in bbl launching a 180 grain Nosler Partition at a MV of 2725 fps.

But it appears that some people would be uncomfortable shooting a moose at 200 yards with a 308 Win launching a Barnes 180 grain TTSX at a MV of 2625.

Yet, the 308 win (in this case) is actually traveling 5 fps faster at 200 yards and delivering more energy.

Tough to argue with that logical example.

I've said the same thing when people talk about .308 impacts at longer ranges and how it's not "magnum-ish" enough. If that bullet is still moving at 30-30 100yd impact speeds, it'll certainly kill a deer, provided the bullet construction is soft enough.

Now with even more aplomb